When we first moved into the house we were thinking we would hold off until a year or longer to start remodeling. I knew I wanted to change something about the fireplace to avoid injuries with little kids. My husband split his head open when he was younger on a brick fireplace and I didn’t want our kids to do the same.
The kitchen was another area we need we wanted to remodel in the future. After unpacking I realized the kitchen update may have to come sooner than a year. There were only three drawers in the kitchen that were blocked by the dishwasher when opened. The drop-in oven also didn’t work.
I started by taking off the wood paneling to see what was behind.
I don't remember why we decided to see what was behind the drywall but I'm sure glad we did.
We were thinking maybe e could just take out one of the two fireplaces.
After taking it down more we decided to take out the whole thing! These fireplaces were a mess! So so much brick and concrete.
My husband first started chiseling away at it then we realized how big a job this was going to be. To remove the fireplaces, it took two guys with a roto hammer, 2 full 8 hour plus days to get it all out!
Seeing the other room made me excited!
We will one whole dumpster just with brick and concrete from the fireplace!
Patched the floor where the fireplace was! I can't believe how much space was wasted with these fireplaces. I don't know why the builder didn't put the fireplace on an exterior wall.
After the fireplace was out I had to do some quick thinking on what we were going to do with those other walls.
We just went for it! Jumped right in!